Sometimes I fix the network rendering.

Backburner-Rendering
June 14, 2013

Sometimes I fix the network rendering.

My technical skills and supervision often go beyond the scope of After Effects, 3ds Max and Vray. In a recent batch of rendering we discovered that a large portion of our render pool had ceased to render. Something was crippling our network rendering and without being prompted to do so, I decided to investigate, fix the issue and return to the studio to full rendering capacity.

Many of our machines both workstation and render slave had stopped rendering certain jobs, or weren’t rendering at all. We use a combination of 3ds Max 2012 and 2013 in the studio at present and I was the one who had previously set up network rendering to work correctly with this combination. But now something was breaking that set up and I was determined to right it back to it’s original state. I investigated both the server and some of the rendering slaves and took the BackBurner error code to do a bit of Googling. Within 10 minutes I’d found an answer that could have been a solution. A few Windows CMD commands fixed a deregistered DLL associated with 3ds Max 2012 preventing it from launching correctly and we were back in business.

I took a few minutes out of two of the artists days to quickly perform the same fix on the two workstations throwing the same error and by the end of the morning the entire studio was back at full rendering capacity. My employer was delighted at the fix when he discovered everything in good working order again and the fact that he hadn’t needed to ask anyone to take a look into it. I feel that these duties fall to me as the technical supervisor of the studio and fixing issues and solving problems are things that I excel at. Because of my early detection of the problem and quick investigation we didn’t have any rendering crises on jobs and no one was interrupted by the whole process for more than a few minutes.


LEAVE A COMMENT